Accommodation in the USA

►Buy the Expat Guide to the USA in PDF format


Accommodation in the USA
Expats moving to the USA will find a high-standard range of accommodation options available to them. In larger cities, accommodation can be expensive, but expats on a budget can mitigate this effect by living in the suburbs rather than the city centre.

Ultimately, there are many options and whether new arrivals are looking to rent a house in the States, or are eager to purchase a prime plot of land, expats are likely to find a home well suited to their individual needs and budget. 

Types of accommodation in the USA


Accommodation in the USA is usually divided into the following classifications:

  • Apartments (self-contained units in larger buildings; referred to as "flats" in some parts of the world such as the UK)
  • Single-family homes (stand-alone houses, usually on a small plot of land)
  • Duplex homes (two or more living quarters are housed in the same building)
  • Condominiums (a community of similar-styled homes with shared amenities)
  • Mansions (large, extravagant, expensive houses)

All these forms of housing are widespread throughout the USA, with apartments being the most popular to rent for expats, and single family homes being the most commonly purchased.

Note that house-sharing – renting an individual room in a larger house, shared by others – is a good option for single expats to consider, as it is budget-friendly and a great way to make new friends.

Finding accommodation in the USA

Finding a place to rent in the USA is a relatively easy process. Expats should begin by doing some research into the city that they are relocating to, in order to get some perspectives on neighbourhoods that best align with their individual priorities. From there, there are a number of possible avenues from which to start searching for rentals.

There are a plethora of internet sites that carry both short- and long-term rental listings. Remember that it's free to browse these sites without needing to register or share personal information. Any web portals that demand information or payment in order to search listings should be approached with caution or avoided entirely.

Another source is local newspapers and magazines, known as "home and apartment finders". These are widely distributed in most American cities. These often specialise in providing rental listings.

In addition, many people find it useful to drive around neighbourhoods they like in search of "for rent" signs.

Real estate agents can also assist new arrivals in finding a rental property. However, in the USA, realtors typically specialise in helping people buy homes rather than rent them. 

Renting accommodation in the USA

Once expats have found a property that they'd like to rent, they will have to tender a lease application. It's important to note that, in most cases, potential tenants will need to prove that they are a serious candidate for renting the property.

As foreigners, expats will need to demonstrate that they have at least enough funds to cover the first month's rent upfront and the equivalent of another month's rent to cover a security deposit. Credit and background checks are also commonly carried out. Those with references from previous landlords should be sure to include them with their application as well.

Lease agreements in the USA are generally signed on a six-month or one-year basis. Whether or not the tenant will be liable for gas, electricity, water, refuse, phone and Internet bills will depend on the specific rental agreement signed.

Furthermore, it should be noted that most rental properties will come with certain fittings included but expats will need to check on whether the landlord will be providing appliances as well. 

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Become our local expat expert for your area! We are looking for contributors to help make this the ultimate guide for expats. Get in touch if you can provide useful info on your city or answer forum questions from new expats.
Find out more.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)