How to get a USA Social Security Number while living overseas?

mrypc's picture
By mrypc - Posted on
14 July 2013
I am an American citizen living permanetly in Italy.

I would like my children to have social security numbers but they are only Italian citizens, is it possible and how do I do it?

Thank you.
Shantalie's picture
Last seen: 1 year 11 weeks ago
Joined: 01/08/2012

Living in:
Cape Town, South Africa

London, England

Hi the mrypc,

Generally, there is no need for someone who is not citizen of the USA to have a Social Security Number. You will only really need your children to a SSN if you plan on moving back to the USA - as this will entitle them to certain social benefits that US citizens are entitled to. 

If you do move back to the USA, there is a possibility that your children can get Social Security numbers.even though they are not US citizens. 

It really will depend on the merits of each application if you are granted the SSN. Regardless, there are still benefits that non-citizens are able to claim without SSN.

For more information I suggest taking a look at the website of the US Social Security Administration

Hope this helps. 

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
Ken John's picture
Last seen: 5 years 15 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2014

hello you can contact this group of experts they can help you get the SSN for children while they are still Italy without any email them they will tell you how tha process goes.

Your rating: None Average: 1 (1 vote)

Read more posts about The USA

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Become our local expat expert for your area! We are looking for contributors to help make this the ultimate guide for expats. Get in touch if you can provide useful info on your city or answer forum questions from new expats.
Find out more.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)