Do I need to sit a test if I exchange my drivers licence in the Czech Republic?

EvanLyons's picture
By EvanLyons - Posted on
10 January 2018

I have been investigating drivers licence conditions in Czech Republic and have hit a wall...

I currently have a New Zealand drivers licence, this enables me to drive (with a IDL) for one year in Czech Republic. After a maximum of a year I will be required to exchange my New Zealand drivers licence for a Czech licence. As I plan to become a resident, I will exchange my New Zealand licence after 3 months or so. What is this exchange process? Some countries (UK) I would not have to sit any tests etc. as New Zealand has an equivalent program. Do I need to sit tests? I am concerned my reading and written Czech is not good enough to pass any theory

Thanks in advance

EmmaL's picture
Last seen: 1 year 41 weeks ago
Joined: 01/08/2017

Hi EvanLyons

Depending on whether Czech Republic recognises New Zealand licences, you might need to sit a test. Have a read of our guide to transport and driving in Czech Republic for a general overview.

It's possible to get a translator for the driving test according to this article, but your best bet is to find out from a driving school or licence centre in CR. Are you still in New Zealand, or have you moved to CR already?

Hope this helps,
Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)

Read more posts about Czech Republic

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Become our local expat expert for your area! We are looking for contributors to help make this the ultimate guide for expats. Get in touch if you can provide useful info on your city or answer forum questions from new expats.
Find out more.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)